Monday, August 6, 2012

Reviews! Love 'Em or Leave 'Em?

I've just received notice of a new Review for Reawakening Eden.  Always fun when the books crawl out of the vault for a bow.  Two Lips Reviews has awarded us Four Stars, boys and girls!  Can I get a woohoo?  You can check out the full review HERE (with the usual spoiler warning that accompanies all reviews, if you want to be surprised by the post apocalyptic-y awesome, you might want to forebear).

I always try to avoid reviews for movies, but reviews for books have sometimes intrigued me enough to buy the book... so tell me, minions, do you like reading reviews?  Do they influence your entertainment choices?  Do they impact your experience of the work?  I find if I'm watching a movie I've read a review of, I will actually spend most of the film comparing it to the review in my mind, which is hella annoying.  Have you ever done that? 

Word of mouth is an excellent way to hear about movies and books, but they can also be so easily overhyped.  My dad didn't like Star Wars the first time he saw it because by the time it came to Alaska (back when distribution wasn't instantaneous) it had been hyped so much that ANY movie would have disappointed.  It's all about expectations... we want people to love our books and tell other people to love our books... but then maybe those other people hate our books because they've been told they're going to love our books and then THEY tell someone else that they hated the book and that person is intrigued and starts to read in spite of themselves and they LOVE the book and... it's a vicious cycle.  Reviews, spoilers... when it comes down to it, it's just you and the book.  And we hope you like it.

No comments: