Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Faithful Adaptations?

So I'm reading Bones Never Lie by Kathy Reichs. This is a big departure for me, because usually I'm way too big a chicken for Romantic Suspense (especially of the serial killer variety), but I was assured by a trusted friend that this one would not give me nightmares or make me want to scream in frustration (so far so good).

This is one of the books in the series on which the television show "Bones" was based and I'm finding myself amazed by how little relationship the book seems to have to the TV series. Pretty much just the words "forensic anthropologist" and "Temperance Brennan", as far as I can tell. After that, all bets are off. Different tone, setting (North Carolina and Montreal rather than D.C.), characterization (heroine is older, divorced, mother of an adult child, surrounded by a completely different cast of supporting characters)... all of it. 


Usually I'm a stickler for honoring the original source material, but in this case I'm finding I enjoy both - though they are completely different animals. It's so different my brain has entirely given up on comparing them and now I'm just enjoying them independent of one another.

What do you think? Sacrilege to change a single word? Or is simply using the most stripped-down premise as a springboard preferable because then the series can remain in your imagination, independent and unsullied by the bumbling attempts of Hollywood to bring it to life? Survey says?

No comments: