Sunday, November 11, 2012

Very Superstitious

I've been talking about superstition lately and since it's SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY and I'm sitting here biting my nails for the 49ers, I thought I'd ask about sports superstitions.  Like, a commentator saying the words "He hasn't thrown an interception yet this game" is the kiss of death.  Next play?  Interception.  Baseball curses are my favorite (the poor Cubbies and that damn goat!), but I think just about every sport has crazy superstitions.  They bring the fan into the game.  We may not be able to tackle that rusher for you, but with enough concentrated energy, we fully believe we can sway the luck.

Here's my favorite football commercial this year: 


And, since I'm a baseball junkie, I just had to include this quote from Bull Durham.  Respect the streak, baby.
Crash Davis: I told him that a player on a streak has to respect the streak. You know why? Because they don't - -they don't happen very often. If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you are! And you should know that!
Do you have a favorite sports superstition? 

No comments: