Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ooooooob! Hamlet's Father's Ghost - Backwards!

So last week I saw, for about the twentieth time, The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged). And yes, it is still outrageously funny, even when you have the show mostly memorized. It's the Bard on speed. All of Shakespeare's plays and sonnets in ninety minutes, with some slight editorial adjustments. Here, have a taste:

Romeo: Call me but love, and I'll be new baptized...
Juliet: What did you just say?
Romeo: I said, call me but love, and I'll...
Juliet: Call you Butt Love?
Romeo: Can we get on with the scene?
Juliet: Whatever you say, Butt Love.


Now take a moment to visualize Titus Andronicus as a cooking show. Suprisingly apt, isn't it?

And then there was Hamlet. Oh, Hamlet. We always knew he was funny, but this? This was art.

And if you didn't already know Hamlet was funny, you must now read The Island of the Sequined Love Nun (Oh, Christopher, how do I love thee...) & then go watch Hamlet 2 - but only if you have a thick skin & a slightly deformed funny bone. (Mom, if you are reading this, these recommendations do not apply to you.)

So why did I bring this up? Other than just to babble on about how wonderful laughter is? Yeah, I don't really have a point. But I do have a bulletin board. It hangs next to my desk. And on this bulletin board there is a scrap of yellow construction paper. And on this construction paper, in black sharpie, are the words "Ooooob! Hamlet's Father's Ghost - Backwards! Why aren't you______?!?" The blank is currently filled in with a purple post-it note commanding me to edit. So, yeah, this is how I motivate myself. With reminders that anything is hysterically funny when done with enough enthusiasm. As long as it's done really fast. And backwards.

1 comment:

memi said...

I've been trying to "krow" enthusiastically all day. I'll let you know how it works out.