Saturday, October 25, 2008

When Inspiration Strikes

I love being a writer. I love that moment when the random rambling of your own thoughts inside your head suddenly turns into a story. I love that having my palm read at an amusement park for a laugh can turn into a novella. I love that my own (exasperating and highly frustrating) experience with a certain internet dating site who shall remain nameless (eBastards!) has spawned the idea for what I hope will be my best book to date. I love sitting in writing workshops and listening to every third word because I am so busy scribbling notes about an idea I just had that has absolutely nothing to do with plotters vs. pantsers and everything to do with a new and creative way to kill off my characters! I love being the kind of person who will sit down anywhere and begin scribbling in my little notebook because Inspiration has Struck! I love that phrase. Inspiration doesn’t tap you gently on the shoulder. Inspiration Strikes! Bam! (Let’s just hope that Inspiration never decides to go on strike.) I love Inspiration all the more because I can’t predict or analyze it. It simply is. There are no rules for the ideas that smack you out of the ether. The Boys in the Basement, the Muse, whatever you call it, it is wild and unpredictable and fantastic. And it is the one thing that I could never train myself to do, but which I could never do without as a writer. Thank you, Inspiration!

1 comment:

memi said...

given my propensity for, ahem, striking poetry, this concept of inspiration striking is particularly appealing. Rather, the topic, not the concept itself. You know what I mean.