Thursday, August 20, 2009

Fall Line Up

Here's the thing. I don't actually own a television. I know, I'm a freak of nature. However, thanks to the magic of Hulu (and the televisions owned by people I visit on a semi-regular basis) I do have some fav shows. And at the moment, for no reason (other than the fact that I am actively trying to procrastinate to avoid writing the next chapter on my WIP), I am going to talk about TV. Because I can.

Dollhouse (Fox) - Joss Whedon. Eliza Dushku. Bad-ass Futuristic Mind-control stuff! Need I say more? Really, this show rocks and rocks hard. Fantasy playground? Why, yes, that sounds lovely.

Burn Notice (USA) - Kickass with a side of hell yes. Michael Westin was a spy who got put on his government's naughty list and has been trying to get back onto the side of the "angels" (so to speak) for the last three seasons. This show rocks in a thousand different ways and two of those ways are Fiona and Sam - Michael's faithful sidekicks. Can I be Fiona when I grow up? Just think of all the things I could shoot and blow up! If you haven't seen this show, I can only ask what are you waiting for?

Leverage (TNT) - Not as good as Burn Notice, quite frankly, but I love me a good caper and this show is about as reliable on the caper-a-week front as they get. Ahhh, crime. I have a seriously disfunctional moral compass. Though these guys are distinctly in the crime-for-good camp.

Chuck (NBC) - Huh. Anyone else noticing a theme? Spies! Capers! Mind programming! This show is quirky delicious and never takes itself too seriously.

So You Think You Can Dance (Fox) - My aunt got me turned onto this show while I was visiting her. I'm not, as a rule, a big fan of America Votes! type shows because I get unspeakably annoyed by the popularity contest angle. But the dancers on this show are so freaking awesome and the choreography occcasionally rocks my freaking world so I have found I must watch.

Jeopardy! - Dude. Love Jeopoardy! Even though if I ever met Trebec in real life I would probably be tempted to lobotomize him with a melon-baller because the man annoys the hell out of me. But yeah, other than that, totally love Jeopardy! (And QuizMasterChallenge - for those of you who have public access TV in the DC metro area, seriously check this out. Those kids are freakishly smaaart.)

Mad Men (AMC) - Sharp, true, utterly brilliant. This show is an insanely good ensemble piece of beautiful complexity. Ah, Mad Men. How do I love thee.


Shows With Unnaturally Short Lifespans I Mourn the Loss of: Pushing Daisies, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Firefly...

Shows that Get More Ridiculously Awful Every Year and Lose Track of What Made Them Good in the First Place: Desperate Housewives, Heroes, Grey's Anatomy...


So what are your favorite shows? Which cancelled ones do you miss the most? What do you think is the most overrated show on television?

No comments: