Monday, June 27, 2011

Little Town Blues Melting Away

Today I went walkabout in Manhattan. It's been a couple years since I visited and a decade since I lived here and New York can always be counted on to change. It is a city in constant evolution. Gotta say, it's impossible to be bored here. I definitely understand the appeal.

I wandered from Times Square (where the RWA conference will be held) down to my old office in Chelsea - which no longer houses the film company I once worked for. I discovered the High Way (new since I lived here) walkway - a lovely landscaped elevated pathway that runs along tenth from 30th almost all the way to the village. I wandered through Greenwich and down to see Ground Zero (very different from when I lived here only months after the attacks). The high rise at Liberty Plaza is creeping toward completion, but the mall at the World Financial Center is already in action, so I stopped in at the food court to cop their wifi and write this (after taking a moment to wander through Battery Park and pick out a good spot to dock my yacht if I ever have Stupid Money to spend).

I've caught two Broadway shows so far - Catch Me If You Can, which was surprisingly romantic and a delightful theater experience ("a spectacular spectacular" according to New York magazine), and the ballet of Cinderella, which definitely primed me for romancey-goodness this week. (And the step-sisters were BRILLIANT. I love when they are played with such comedic flair.)

But playtime (at least of the non-writing variety) is almost over. Tomorrow the conference begins! If you are in the New York area, the Literacy for Life signing is open to the public, 5:30-7:30pm at the Marriott Marquis. Over 500 of your favorite romance authors will be signing their books and visiting with readers. Don't miss it!

And if you don't hear from me for a couple days, I promise to have beaucoup tales from the trenches as soon as I recover my sanity post-conference! Have a great week, y'all!

No comments: