Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Water, Water, Everywhere

I'm back in Seattle and it's raining. Which is not unusual. What is unusual is that my apartment has a leak. It's a small leak. Just a gap in the molding over the floor-to-ceiling windows in my breakfast room. Unfortunately, my breakfast room, with its fabulous view, is where I chose to set up my office. Luckily my old manuscripts avoided a soggy fate, since I recently transferred them to my new filing cabinet in the living room. However, my electronic devices were not so lucky. Computer cables and surge protectors are now sitting in puddles of water like an engraved invitation to electrocute myself.

I unplugged and moved the computers to the living room and pulled the desk away from the windows. But until I get a maintenance guy in here to caulk it up or it stops raining here like Noah's got an ark that needs testing, I'm using the "Buy a Bigger Towel" approach to fixing my leak. Or should I put an empty pot over there? Isn't that what they do in the movies? Probably not the best resource for home maintenance, the movies. But I don't really have a better plan...

No comments: