Friday, July 22, 2011

Creating OFF the Interwebz

I saw this link to a John Mayer Q&A which was excellent (which apparently has been making the online rounds all week so y'all probably already saw it, but I wanted to share). I found myself distinctly surprised by the similarity between the way he talks about writing a song and the way I think of writing a book. For some reason it hadn't occurred to me that songs don't just magically arrive in their best state, that there is editing and revision and a dogged perseverance in that artistic process as much as there is in mine. Fascinating. And it helps me to better understand those who don't see the challenges behind the kind of writing I do. Understanding: never a bad thing.

Also enjoyed the mindsets to avoid section. In particular: "Nobody’s music is the enemy of your music…" Yes. THIS.

Just thought I'd share...

2 comments:

Leah Braemel said...

Along with that post, I also thought Jonathan Field's post about how technology has become our 'creative kryptonite' by interrupting our time to ruminate was really interesting. http://www.jonathanfields.com/blog/creative-kryptonite-and-the-death-of-productivity/

Vivi Andrews said...

Oooh. VERY interesting link, Leah. Thank you!

I think my To Do lists are my way of managing the hamster-on-a-wheel feeling that can come from filling your days with email answering and putting out fires. And I love to drive because I never multi-task in the car and it gives me time to clear my head. Interesting how now we have to find ways to AVOID technology.