Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Happy Writer

Apparently I am in the right career.

I'm road-tripping at the moment, which means I'm spending a large portion of my writing hours in exciting locations like... McDonalds. Periodically people feel the need to speak to me as I'm sitting there guzzling bottomless Diet Coke refills and tapping away at my stories. More often than not they want to marvel at the compact size of my mini laptop and quiz me about how it works, but the other day a woman came up to me and declared that I must be getting good messages because every time she looked at me I had the biggest grin on my face.

I hadn't realized I was smiling. I wasn't getting messages. I was just working on my new story and being entertained by myself. Which seems rather self-absorbed, really, to sit there giggling at my own attempts at wit, but it's nice to know I enjoy my work - even when I'm not conscious of it.

May we all be so lucky as to work at something that makes us smile without realizing it.

No comments: