Wednesday, August 3, 2011

More of the Same

Every year, my college cohorts and I meet up for a week(end) and reconnect. We fly and drive from literally the world over to some central location and one of our yearly traditions is called "One, Five, Ten" - during which we give our professional & personal goals for the next one, five, and ten years.

This year I realized that my professional goals almost all included the words "keep on" or "continue" - even those that involved change. Such as my one year goal of "Reassess to determine how to best continue making a living at this crazy writing biz."

I'm not sure if this is a really awesome development (I'm a real writer, y'all! I did it!) or a sign that I need to step it up and figure out how to challenge myself with NEW goals.

My question to you is - what do you do to keep yourself motivated after you've achieved the initial goal that was your primary motivating factor? How do you keep your goals new and fresh?

Do you ever wonder if "continue" is perhaps the hardest part of any dream? Because we slowly lose the hunger that got us there in the first place and start to take it for granted? Like marriage. Staying married is so much harder than tying the knot, right? So this is my marriage counseling session - how do I stay in love with my career, the same way I was when our romance was new?

What's your secret?

No comments: