Friday, December 4, 2009

Emotional Roadblock

Hello, darlings. It's been a few days. One of those weeks when I barely feel like I'm keeping my head above water - even though I don't think I'm busy enough to justify that feeling. Just a few words now...

Random Sidenote: The Rubies are having a Q&A day over at their blog. Ask and be answered.

A couple days ago, while reading a Ruby blog, I had a random epiphany. I realized that I hadn't written the death of a single character since I lost my brother. In some cases, this involved some pretty extreme contortions to do. (Especially since I was writing a Tarantino-esq gore-fest when It Happened.)

Instead, my writing took a distinct turn toward the comedic. And now I am fascinated by what moves me to write particular stories. You see, I wasn't really writing much comedy before then. And it never occurred to me until now that there was a cause behind my sudden swing to the funny side.

Why do certain stories call to us? Why do I love to read books I would be bored to tears writing? Does our writing have more, in fact, to do with our lives than our reading tastes?

Whatever the causes, I cannot put a character I like (or even one I don't) through grief. For purely selfish reasons. It would pain me too much to have to write about grief and loss. Perhaps that is why I veer away from Romantic Suspense? Because all too often, the hero/heroine are dealing with overcoming an enormous tragedy - My wife was murdered by a serial killer. My sister was abducted when we were seven - tragedies for which people always grieve. Yes, they give the character deep, dark issues to overcome, but I can't read them. And I would never write them. Even if the obstacle is overcome, there is too much pain in that emotional hurdle.

So I'll make 'em laugh (I hope) instead.

How does your life cross over with your reading/writing habits? They say escapist books boom during times of economic crisis. I know others who begin reading/writing lighter during times of family illness and tragedy. Your thoughts?

2 comments:

Jean Marie Ward said...

I think your response is totally normal. We reach for comedy when we hurt. There have been times in my life when the only things I could stand to read were all written by Georgette Heyer. On the plus side, the first time that happened was a real eye-opener on the importance of romance. :-)

Vivi Andrews said...

Jean Marie - Thank goodness for happily ever afters, eh? They can get us through so much. :)