Saturday, December 12, 2009

Jingle Bells & Wedding Bells

This week I'm trading in jingle bells for wedding bells. One of my oldest and best friends is trading in her single status.

(Warning: I'm going to gush sappily for a paragraph or two.)

I met the bride on the first day of eighth grade when I made a smartass comment about the way a teacher had mispronounced her name. Since she's a smartass herself, that comment was the cement that firmed our new friendship.

I am who I am to day because of that friendship. She was the one who suggested we backpack across Europe after highschool. She was the one who talked me into auditioning for my first play. But, perhaps most significantly, she was the one who sat on the other end of the couch the very first day when we got out our spiral bound notebooks and started writing.

We joke sometimes that she's an enabler. That she enables my laziness and procrastination. But the truth of the matter is she has enabled a lot of things that have enriched my life - travel, theatre, writing, and more.

She's the one who said, "Yes, your writing is good" and "You can do this. Why not?" when I was nothing but raw potential and hope. She's the first person who ever read a word I wrote - even when they were mostly incoherent words.

And this week she's getting married on a tropical island and I'm going to be there with a great big idiotic grin on my face. She's gonna be a knockout bride.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your words were never incoherent.

Vivi Andrews said...

Heh. Yeah, the words were fine. It was the order I put them in that made them gawd-awful. ;)