Wednesday, June 2, 2010

There's an -osis for that!

In the writing of every book, there comes a time when I am convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I am writing the worst piece of sh*t book that has ever been written in the history of man. So I call my mom (yes, I run straight to mommy, you got a problem with that?) and I wail, "It's awful!" and my mother says, "You always think that." And I moan, "But this time I'm right!" And she says, "You always say that." So I say, "This time is different!" But it never is.

Turns out, there's an "osis" for that. Or, in this case, an effect. The Dunning-Kruger effect, to be exact. Apparently, if I have confidence issues about the writing thing, it might just be a sign that I'm hella brilliant. Or something. Check it out: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2010/03/do-you-lack-confidence-in-your-writing.html

AKA: it's a good thing I suck.

But since I am a constantly swinging pendulum of confidence, I'm not always convinced I suck, so now I'm worried about which side I fall on - the incompetent who oversells herself or the savant who understates. Is it possible to be both?

No comments: