Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It's for the Kids!

A few months back, when The Sexorcist released, I announced I was doing a charity drive in conjunction with the book. If you sent me proof-of-purchase via email, a chunk-o-change from my royalty check would make its way to the Children's Heart Foundation.

Well, that promo officially ended last week (but if you forgot, send me your receipt by the 15th & I'll add you to the numbers), and I would like to extend a big thank you to everyone who participated (hopefully you like the book too!). I didn't have the participation numbers I'd hoped for (maybe it was my own deficiency of gettin-the-word-out, but I'm hoping it was just that y'all are like me and prefer to donate directly). Anyway, I decided to triple the percentage of my planned donation (up to 30% of my earnings). And I just might have to do something additional when the print release comes out.

Because it's for the kids, y'all.

Charities helping children are always at the top of my list - which is why I'd like to take this chance to talk a little bit about another charity drive that recently contacted me. Here's a snippet from Renee's email:
I am a nineteen year old female college student. This summer I am shaving my head for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation to raise childhood cancer research funds. Childhood cancer is seriously under-funded and it is our job to raise awareness for the children who can’t fight this war on their own.

As a part of a group called “46 Mommas Shave For The Brave” I and the others will have our heads shaved in LA in an effort to raise childhood cancer awareness and then appear on the Stand Up to Cancer Show airing September 10 at 8 pm. In case you are wondering why we call ourselves the “46 mommas” the answer is simple, there are 46 children diagnosed with cancer every weekday.

You can click on their website for more about how you can support their efforts. To learn more about St. Baldrick's Foundation and what they do, you can visit the site here.

No comments: