Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Book Karma

Do you ever have a run of absolutely fabulous reading luck? Like when all the books you are reading suddenly seem to be surpassing your expectations and resonating against a little place inside you like they were written just for you? I've gotta say, it's pretty awesome when it happens and I'm having one right now.

These fabulous books aren't from new-to-me authors, so I knew they would be good, but for some reason the stellar reality of these books has surpassed my memory of the awesomeness I could expect to find within.

Maybe it's just a factor of mood. Was I in exactly the right mindset to be reading these books? Is that why I found Erin McCarthy's A Date with the Other Side to be a double helping of charming and delightful with a side of ghosts? Or why I turned to goo midway through The Givenchy Code by Julie Kenner, moaning, "You had me at cryptography"? (I'm a math nerd, I can't help it if the Fibbonacci sequence makes me weak.)

Whatever the reason, I'd like to thank the Gods of Pleasure Reading for giving me this particularly delightful stint. What about you? Have you had a good run lately? Any books you want to gush about?

7 comments:

KELLY FITZPATRICK said...

The reading Gods hate me.

Vivi Andrews said...

Poor you! Fingers crossed they send you some good reading mojo soon. :)

Unknown said...

Well, there was this one book last month that had me bouncing in my chair with giddy, infectious joy. I think it was called the Sexorcist or something...

Vivi Andrews said...

I think I'm going to keep a running tally of people who suck up to me in the comments on this blog. Maybe I'll have a prize for Vivi's Favorite Sycophant at the end of the year... like a sneak peek at something new perhaps? Or a super-secret Karmic story just for you? Hmmm...

Glad you liked Sexorcist, Kali!

Vivant said...

As a charter member of Sycophants-R-Us, I must agree that The Sexorcist left me with a huge smile on my face and made me love the gods of reading very, very much. Thank you, Vivi. Please ma'am, may I have some more?

I've been on a pretty good reading run lately, with many books grabbed at RT and others from favorite authors in my TBR rack. My reading cup runneth over. 'Scuse me now, I need to go to read.

Unknown said...

If you're offering a special story to the best sycophant, that would suggest to me that you like the attention. Therefore, I'll keep sucking up every chance I get.:)

But really, my cup also runeth over. Between you, Kresley Cole, Christopher Moore, and a little Heinlein, my Kindle is keeping me a VERY happy woman.

Vivi Andrews said...

Who doesn't love to have their ego stroked? ;) I think it's gonna be a point system.

+2 points for standard kissing up
+5 points for subtle or tactful kissing up that is slipped in as part of natural commenting
+10 points for kissing up above and beyond the call of duty
+25 points for eggregious or utterly ridiculous kissing up that defies the laws of physics
-5 points for taking yourself too seriously

And I get to be the Point Maven! The Point Maven giveth and the Point Maven can taketh away!