Tuesday, March 3, 2009

5 Books!

Long and Short Reviews reveiwed my book and they liked it! They really liked it! 5 Books! Woohoo!

I continued to be utterly blown away by the reception The Ghost Shrink is getting. Everyone has been so positive so far, and I am thrilled to pieces, but I have to admit I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm fairly certain there has never been a book in the history of man that was universally liked, so I'm holding my breath and waiting for the reviewer's equivalent of a body slam. I have a feeling it's coming.

Not that I'm pessimistic, or that I want people not to like my book. It's more a case of wanting to make sure my big fat head doesn't get overinflated. Writing is a tricky game. A balancing act between confidence & uncertainty. We need to love our words beyond all reason, but I think one of the worst things that can happen to a writer is to start believing your own hype. If you think you're a rockstar, then you stop striving and the striving is what makes great books.

I'm overanalyzing this, aren't I? It's just a review, Vivi! And a positive one at that! Enjoy it!

And I do. Thank you, Long & Short Reviews!

So here's the question: Do you ever buy a book based on a good review? Is there a particular reviewer you tend to agree with/take recommendations from?

3 comments:

Vivant said...

I'm not a professional writer, but it seems to me that this is a universal issue. Anyone who gets too caught up in their own press can lose focus or become complacent and stop doing the things that made them successful. I try to savor the accolades but keep things in perspective. My suggestion is to let yourself thoroughly enjoy whatever glory you garner, keep yourself balanced by staying focused on your writing goals, and try not to worry too much!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!! Maybe there is no other shoe.

Kelly

Vivi Andrews said...

It's like that scene in Spanglish where Adam Scandler freaks about being hailed as the best chef in America. Sometimes the good is as daunting as the bad.