Saturday, March 7, 2009

Pandering for Votes

I would never make it as a politician; I feel all self-conscious and weird whenever I have to ask someone to vote for me for any reason. So today, I am not asking for your vote. I'm just doing a little PSA to let you know that there are a couple opportunities for you to vote for The Ghost Shrink, the Accidental Gigolo & the Poltergeist Accountant out there, and I leave it entirely up to you whether you choose to pursue those opportunities.

Opportunity #1: The Ghost Shrink is up for Book of the Week at Long and Short Reviews! All this weekend you can vote for your fav book (based on the LASR reviews) and the winner will be featured next week! Vote here (if you want).

Opportunity #2: The Ghost Shrink is up for Best Cover for January & February at Book Cover Lovers! I think the voting runs until the 15th on this one. Vote here (if you feel like it).

And speaking of voting, what do you think of all these reality shows where "America Decides" like American Idol, Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance? Are they gimmicky popularity contests that have nothing to do with talent? Or is the decision of the masses the truest measure of success? I have to say that I, personally, am bugged by the trend in our culture in which popularity is more valued than quality. Where do you stand?

3 comments:

Vivant said...

I get really irritated when some contestants on Dancing with the Stars survive week after week totally on fan base and others who are much better dancers are voted off. So You Think You Can Dance is better, since those contestants all start on a level playing field.

It's disturbing that the obsession with celebrity has reached a level where many people seem to value the ability to get attention over the ability to perform with quality. Are we really that shallow? I can only hope that this trend is exaggerated in reality show voting. I suspect that people who worship star power are more likely to vote over and over than those who are more discriminating.

BTW, thanks for the contest info. I am now sporting an imaginary "I voted today!" sticker.

Anonymous said...

Don't even get me started. I only watch Survivor and Dancing with the Stars. I hardly ever vote, but I "do" often swear that if so and so isn't voted off, I will never watch again. But I never follow through.

I have wanted to be on Survivor since I first heard about it, until I actually saw it. I'd be voted off on the first episode. I thought they'd just drop me off on an island with some books, and I could lose a few pounds. Then I saw I had to get along with others and compete in challenges. No thanks.

Kelly

Vivi Andrews said...

Wow. A tropic island and a mountain of books? That must be the best diet ever.
~V.