Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ignorance is *!@#)$*!

I've said in the past that I hate the waiting that is so much a part of the publishing biz. I'd like to retract that statement. I don't actually hate waiting. I don't have a problem with waiting at all. What I have a problem with is not knowing. Ignorance sucks. As soon as I know what to expect, I can anticipate the good and plan for the bad. I'm a big planner. One might even say I am a compulsive planner. Unfortunately, you can't make plans if you don't know what's coming at you. The not knowing drives me nuts.

I got a rejection today from an agent I queried last April. Just your standard, "Thanks for submitting... careful consideration... no thanks." I can't say I'm traumatized by the rejection. After eleven months, I'm just grateful I got a response at all. Now I know. (Yay!) I get to tick that one off my list of dangling submissions, polish up my proposal, and send another soldier out into the fray. Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more!

I don't know who said Ignorance is bliss, but I beg to differ. Knowledge is bliss. Ignorance is annoying as hell.

But I suppose I can see the other side of the argument. If you don't know that you've been rejected yet, you can still entertain the fantasy that the agent loves you beyond all reason, they will sell your manuscript for a bazillion dollars in the largest publishing deal in the history of the world and you will be given an express pass to wealth and fame. Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous will do a feature on your private yacht and George Clooney will get down on his knees and beg to meet you - and wouldn't he be just perfect to play your hero in the blockbuster smash film-adaptation of your book?

It's a pretty thought, but I think I'd still rather know. What about you? Ignorance is bliss? Or ignorance is agony?

No comments: