Monday, May 23, 2011

Guest Author: Jennifer Bray-Weber

Happy Monday! Today we have a special treat, especially for all you pirate lovers who are hankering for some more buckling swashes after indulging in the latest Pirates of the Caribbean flick. (Did you see it? Cuz I saw it, and now I want to be an evil mermaid when I grow up.) For all my pirate-loving mateys out there, today I am delighted to announce we have as our interviewee, Jennifer Bray-Weber, author of the thrilling pirate romance, Blood & Treasure. Welcome, Jennifer! (Yarrrr!)

Thank you, Vivi, for inviting me to your blog. It is a real honor, I mean it.

1. Nerdgasm Question: Iron Man, Thor, Spiderman, Captain America or Wolverine - there can be only one. Best Avenger?

Great guns, Vivi. I can only pick one? Well, playboy Tony Stark oozes sex appeal, and I could pet Wolverine any day. But if I can’t be greedy, I would choose Thor. I’m a sucker for mythology, and besides, have you seen Chris Hemsworth? Okay, so he’s not a real avenger, but he plays one on the silver screen.

2. Pirate Question: Who is your favorite pirate? (real or fictional.)

Anyone who knows me will think I’ll answer Jack Sparrow. I do love me some Jack, but he’s not my favorite. For a real life pirate, Sam Bellamy, captain of the Whydah, fascinates me. He was the type of pirate legends are based upon. He was handsome, adventurous, formidable, highly successful, and driven by his undying love for one woman. On the flipside, my favorite fictional pirate is Prudence ‘Spitfire’ Stevens played by Maureen O’Hara in AGAINST ALL FLAGS. Just as her name suggests, she embodies the strong, saucy, beautiful and womanly pirate captain.

But I do love me some Jack.

3. Adventure Question: If you could be sucked back in time and abducted onto a pirate ship, would you take the adventure or stay home with your modern conveniences?

Let’s assume I’m abducted by a hunky pirate with the promise of high seas fun. I’d be a seafarin’ wench, hands down. I admit, as I’m sucked through the time portal I’d be clutching economy-sized bars of soap and toilet paper.

4. Compass Question: Your heroine has a magic medallion. If she had Captain Jack's compass instead, what would it point toward?

As all POTC fans know, the compass points to what the holder wants most. For my heroine Lianna, one might think the compass would point home after she is spirited away by a pirate. Or one might think the needle would point to the insatiable libertine first mate. Or to the relative safety of land. Or to anything, anything at all, other than the temperamental Captain Zane Fox.

5. Help Me Fight the Zombie Apocalypse Question: Most effective method of decimating the zombie hordes. Go. (Bonus points for use of cutlasses.)

Zombies are no match for my bloodthirsty pirates. Arrgh. Grapeshot fired from shipboard guns would be effective, ripping many zombies to shreds at once. In hand-to-zombie-hand combat, marlin spikes, boarding axes, and, of course, cutlasses, would work nicely. Ever seen a zombie with a peg leg, hook, or eye patch? Yo! Ho! Ho!

You know, come to think of it, we really do need more pirates on hand for the zombie apocalypse. They certainly are handy (and inventive!) in a fight. Thank you, Jenn! And now, a look inside the high seas goodness of Blood & Treasure.

Blood & Treasure (now available on Kindle & nook)

Although Lianna Whitney was gently bred, she must now empty slop buckets and fight off randy sailors in a seaport tavern to survive. One night, she unexpectedly comes into possession of a golden medallion. When the man who left it with her is immediately murdered by soldiers of the Royal Navy, she’s afraid to admit she has it. Unsure who to trust, she’s caught up in crossfire between a navy officer and a pirate captain, who, realizing she possesses the object he’s been paid to find, whisks her away to his ship during the fight.

Privateer Captain Zane Fox is not interested in the mystical healing powers the medallion is said to hold, even though legends claim it can bring a dying man back to life. He only plans to procure the medallion, drop the chit off at the next port, and collect the money he was promised. However, as they fend off storms at sea and attempt to outrun the Royal Navy, the two are also fighting the attraction they feel for one another. But when they are captured, Zane must choose between recovering the medallion and saving Lianna from the noose. And soon it becomes clear to him the medallion is not the only treasure worth risking his life for.

For more swashbuckling information, visit my website at www.jbrayweber.com or stop by my blog MuseTracks at http://musetracks.wordpress.com/.

Today one lucky commenter will win an ebook copy of Blood & Treasure. Good luck, me hearties!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I already have Blood and Treasure and love the book (so I don't need to be in the drawing). Jenn's characters are wonderfully written and irresistible!

So happy for Jenn's first release.

Suzan Harden said...

I also already have Blood and Treasure (yay, Jenn). C'mon, Jenn, wouldn't you want the ultimate pirate captain, Han Solo?

Susan M said...

I've already got Blood and Treasure. Can't wait to find time to read it.

Two words - Errol Flynn. A little before our time, but he invented the genre.

Stacey Purcell said...

Great interview...boy I bet some of those questions gave you pause to think! I tried to think of my own answers and failed a few. You not only answered, but kept it witty and fun....I hate you. HAHAHA
Jenn, you're book is a blast to read and it seems a fast paced, adventure packed pirate escape is just what the doctor ordered for me! What a treat!!

Unknown said...

Jennifer has written a terrific romance, but also one hell of an old-fashioned swashbuckling "Ahoy, Mateys!" adventure story with an engaging heroine and a real hero who acts, instead of re-acts. I give this one Five Stars.

Anonymous said...

Ahoy, Jenn! (Sorry, I just wanted to say that. I've been watching way too much "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" lately.

Great interview!

Rita said...

You guys are cracking me up. I can just it it a hunky pirate appears says come with me and you go "Be right with you. Have to grab my economy sized soap and toilet paper.
Fun interview ladies

Becky said...

Great interview! Blood & Treasure sounds really good.

Diana Layne said...

cute interview, you two! Love me some Capn Jack myself. :) I already have Blood and Treasure and have it cued up next on my Kindle!

Melissa said...

Great interview, ladies! I've got my copy too! Just stopping by to say HI and Congratulations! :) I LOVE Jenn's pirate captains!! One in particular who will remain nameless....LOL

SusanR said...

Fun interview! This books sounds great - can't wait to read it!

Gwynlyn said...

I adore Against All Flags (and Maureen O'Hara!) I haven't read a good pirate in a long while, so I'm looking forward to this one, Jenn.

Anonymous said...

Wow- Thanks everyone for the kind comments. It's so nice to have so many of you supporting me.

And weren't those interview questions great? Vivi had me on a couple of them.

@Stacey - I hate you, too. :-)
@Amanda - Isn't that such a cute show?

Thanks again for showing me the love.

Jenn!

Nancy G said...

You have some of the best contests over here Vivi! Haven't read a good pirate book in a while, but this sounds promising.

Jen B. said...

A pirate captain! Yippee! Sounds sexy.
jepebATverizonDOTnet

Cherie said...

I saw POTC over the weekend and it got me ready for more pirate adventures. Blood and Treasure sounds like a fun read. Congratulations on your first release.

Vanessa Barneveld said...

Great interview, Vivi and Jenn!

Congrats on the release of your delicious pirate, Jenn. I haven't seen any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (I know--I'm a philistine, but at least I've been on the Disneyland ride). I'd rather read your book first, Jenn. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks again to all who have showed me the love. Your support is beyond special.

Jenn!

Bev Pettersen said...

Enjoyed the interview, a day late! Jenn, I loved your book. Great timing too. I'm just noticing all the pirate commercials.