Sunday, February 8, 2009

Apunctual Groundhogs

Okay, I know I missed Groundhog Day by almost a week, but it's my blog so I get to make the rules and I say we get to go back and revisit Groundhog Day. It's good to be the blog dictator.

I have two things to say about Groundhog Day:

1) Does anyone live in a place where the "eight more weeks of winter" thing actually applies? Is there such a place? I grew up in Alaska, so when someone tells me during the first week of February that there will only be eight more weeks of winter, I have to ask how they define "winter". The idea that all the snow will be gone and temperatures will be regularly above freezing by the end of March is just comic. But I know Alaska isn't the norm. Unfortunately, the groundhog thing doesn't seem to apply anywhere else I've lived either. Right now I'm living in Seattle and we've only had a handful of days that seem wintry to me. Seems like winter's already over around here. Does the groundhog prediction only apply if you live in New England? Does anyone out there put their faith in that shadow?

2) How awesome is the movie Groundhog Day? In case you haven't seen this brilliant opus (rent it! rent it now!), it follows one day in the life of a misanthropic weatherman (Bill Murray). The only catch is that he keeps reliving that one day over and over and over and over again. He can't age, he can't die, but he also can't get to tomorrow. Dear Old Bill (or rather Phil, as the character is called) gets a chance to do just about everything you can do in that town on that day - from becoming an expert at flipping cards into a hat to learning to play the piano to falling in love.

So my question is: What would you do with forever? If time weren't an object, what skill would you want to acquire? What adventure would you want to have? What would you want to learn? And how long do you think it would be before you got bored with immortality?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I would get bored with it! There is so much to learn and do. So many different courses I could take at school, so many places to see.
Now, yes this will sound sappy....but I don't know if I would want immortality if I was alone. I would want my husband with me.
As for Groundhog day? It was a great movie! Until I stayed at my brothers when I was a teenager, and it was on all day every day for about 2 weeks. I got VERY sick of it!
Have you seen the Supernatural episode they did like that though? It was funny!

Vivi Andrews said...

I would definitely want company in immortality, too. And I haven't seen Supernatural. I'll have to check it out. :)

Anonymous said...

We just started them about a month ago. (Supernatural that is) and we have done 3 seasons so far. They are showing the 4th season right now on tv. *SOB* It is so good (If you like that vamp, werewolves, demons thing!)

Vivant said...

Forever to learn and experience things? Gardening, reading, languages, dancing, travel, philosophy, music, reading, cooking, art, photography, and did I say reading? I don't think I would ever get bored, but it would be very hard to watch others age and die while you went on -- the company of a beloved immortal (hmm, Immortal Beloved -- another good movie) would be priceless.

Sela Carsen said...

Before I married, I was a professional student, so, honestly (I'm such a geek) I'd end up studying through my Groundhog Day.

I'd learn the piano. And maybe the oboe. I'd brush up on my French and Spanish some more. Learn some more about the literature. Learn Italian and Portuguese while I was at it.

Maybe something like yoga or dancing. I've always wanted to be coordinated and relaxed enough to do those things.

And "Ryerson? Ned Ryerson?!?" Just thought I'd throw that out there. ;)