Saturday, February 21, 2009

Geeking Out

**Ooops. So I swear I hit "publish post" but since the post did not, in fact, publish, I'm thinking I probably hit save by accident. So let's try this one more time...**

For the record, I am a huge nerd. I embrace my nerdiness. I get disproportionately excited about the strangest things, my nerdy little obsessions. One of my obsessions, which isn't necessarily a huge geek-factor, is baseball. It is the depth of my passion for the greatest game on dirt that exposes my geekery.

I believe in curses and streaks and the metaphysical, non-linear character of a game that simultaneously revolves around statistics. I know some people think the game is slow or boring, but I love it because it is all about timing. About having that one opportunity, that one moment up at bat. You can seize that one chance to become the next Babe Ruth or strike out so hard you fall on your butt, or you can be so terrified of failing that you never even swing. Baseball is a metaphor for life and I loooooove it. Especially baseball of the Seattle Mariners variety.

So why am I talking about baseball in the middle of February? Cuz spring training has started and Ken Griffey Jr is coming back to Seattle! Wooohoooo! Now, I know this news is not nearly as exciting to the average citizen, but, as I said, I am a huge nerd. So I'm gonna do my Snoopy Dance in Junior's honor and if you feel so inclined, you can dance along.

Today's Gigolo Question: What is your biggest, geekiest, irrational joy? What sends you into fits of nerdy rapture?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may sound so stupid...but I get so freakin excited over stationary supplies. Pens, pencils, highlights, paper, journals..
Ah....LOVE IT! Pens are my ultimate crack. hmm.....Um and I have to go with my iPhone. It is my most prized posession. I would ALMOST save it before my cats (just kidding...kinda). :D lol

Unknown said...

pens lol

Anonymous said...

I don't know. Maybe "Dancing With The Stars". I love it. I Tivo it, but sort of watch it the night it's on---no waiting. I just wait long enough so I can fast-forward through the commercials, and then I keep them, and watch them over and over again. I don't vote...oh no...I just like to watch.

Kelly

Vivi Andrews said...

I can understand a passion for stationary. I have a thing for post-its and purple pens (writing purple, not necessarily looking that way on the outside). I wonder if my need to spread purple script far and wide has anything to do with the fact that was my school color at college. Go Cats! :)

Anonymous said...

*giggle* purple is my favourite too!