Sunday, February 22, 2009

Kill Me Now

I love romance novels. They fit nicely into my happily-ever-after worldview. (Huh, I wonder if romance book readers are by nature more optimistic than their more depressing literary counterparts?) I love reading romance and I love writing it.

However, there are some parts about being a romance author that I would happily do without. I'd be a happy camper if I never had to look at another rejection letter. I'd kiss the person who told me I never had to write another query letter or boil my book down into a catchy tagline (I suck at taglines). And, as much as I want people to read and enjoy my work, there are some people I would prefer never read my books. But one of the downsides of publishing is that after my book hits the open market, my ultra-stubborn, hyper-conservative grandmother can buy her own copy and I can't stop her.

That is what happened this week. My grandmother read my book. My oh-so-proper grandma read words like "stripper" and "handjob" and "gigolo." Written by yours truly. Not to mention the words of the four-letter variety. You wanna hear the kicker? She's reading it aloud to my blind grandfather. Just take a moment to picture that, if you will.

I cannot talk to my grandmother about my sex book, so my aunt is acting as an intermediary. She informed me that my gran found the book to be "well-written" and wanted to assure me that they still love me and know that I can still behave like a lady - no matter how my characters may act.

At least my father has agreed to forego the pleasure of my literary genius until I write something more to his taste. (Thank you, Daddy!) I've promised he will be the first to read my manuscript if I ever write a Ken Follett-esque novel. And someday I will. Pillars of the Earth III: Judgement Day. Even if my dad is the only one who ever reads it. In the mean time, he couldn't be prouder, and we both pretend he doesn't know what I write.

Today's Gigolo Question: Is romance your dirty little secret? Is there anyone out there you would rather not know you read (or write) romance?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love romance. I love to fall in love over and over again. I also like a mystery, comedy, etc...as long as there is some romance in it. Is it a secret? Sort of. I usually say I write romantic mysteries. But I'd rather that no one knew I wrote, but that ship has sailed. I am hyper-aware when I'm writing that people I know and am related to may someday read it, and that terrifies me.

Kelly

Vivant said...

I don't relish reading a book with a steamy cover when I'm in close quarters with people I don't know - on a plane, for example. That's one of the great things about an ebook reader. I read whatever suits my mood no matter where I am.

As the "intermediary" aunt in this little drama, I want to say that while Vivi's grandparents (my parents) appreciated the advance warning that there was more sex and bad language in romance novels today than what they were probably accustomed to, they also found it pretty amusing that Vivi was so squeamish about having them read her book. The "we still love her and she's still welcome to visit" comments were totally tongue in cheek. The "we thought it was very well written and are very proud of her" comments were heartfelt.

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA!
Sorry, I know I have already laughed at this...and I am sorry, but it is funny! :D
Anyways, romance is and it isn't my dirty little secret....
Romance isn't my secret, I joke about reading cheesy romance all the time (although, I guess I should stop making fun of my reading pleasure). I don't talk about the erotica that I read ;), I mean other than to my hubby, who will read the ones I recommend to him lol

Anonymous said...

OH and after reading Vivant's comment....I so told you so! I told you it wouldn't be that bad!!

Unknown said...

Everyone knows I read romances. I used to even take romance books with me to high school and read them.

Vivi Andrews said...

You were right, it wasn't so bad. It's still weird though. I don't think it will ever stop being weird to me.

Anonymous said...

LOL oh I know what you mean about weird. I can't watch a movie that has sex in it with my dad. We watched Jarhead together? OMG! lol