Friday, February 13, 2009

Survey Says...

I saw this statistic yesterday and wanted to share:

Number of Romance Novels Read By Romance Readers in the Past Year:
54% - 1-5 books

17% - 6-10 books
14% - 11-20 books
8% - 21-50 books
2% - 51-100 books

I am definitely in the two percent. I am a book junkie. I devour romance novels. I'll read other types of books (just finished a great mystery by Elizabeth Peters), but romances are my fall-back. They're easy entertainment, a sure-thing.

At first I was a little discouraged - only ten percent read more than 20 romances a year? - but then I read a little farther into the statistical info and saw that the number of people who'd read at least one romance in the last year was listed at around 64 million. That means 6.4 million people read more than 20 romances a year and that was a number I liked. 6.4 million is a good start, ladies and gentlemen. It's all about world domination.

You know what else surprised me in this survey? They say that 22% of romance readers are male. How awesome is that? I had no idea so many men were picking up romance novels these days. I feel like romance has always been a female dominated corner of publishing, but maybe the times they are a-changing.

Although, this kind of makes me wonder what all counts as a "romance" novel. If Dan Brown's characters get it on, does that make it romance enough to qualify for this survey? What about Twilight? It wasn't marketed as romance, but it's pretty heavy-handed on the loooove front. Where do they draw the line? That always bugs me. Statistics should be about hard and fast numbers, but the wording can be so imprecise.

The Gigolo Question of the Day is: How many romance novels did you read last year?
a) 1-5
b) 6-10
c) 11-20
d) 21-50
e) 51 or more (anyone out there read more than a 100?)

8 comments:

Vivant said...

I have to believe I'm in the 100+ category, but who stops to count? I would guess that I read somewhere between 150 and 200 books a year, including listening to audiobooks in my car to make the miles melt away. Most of what I read falls into some category of romance, but I enjoy good books in almost any category. ALMOST. I am not a fan of the current trend for angst-ridden self-revelation. Done well, it can be poignant or bitingly funny, but a little goes a long way. Give me a good romance with a strong hero, a spunky heroine, and some happily-ever-after!

Anonymous said...

Well, since I have already read 43 books since Jan 1, I think it is safe to say I am in the last category! lol
I would say all of my books have romance in them, but they may not be classified as romance. I do read some fantasy and some mystery.

Anonymous said...

I feel like the slow kid on the short bus. I probably read between 21-50. Closer to the 21 than the 50...2 or 3 a month I guess. 1 or 2 non-fiction, the rest are mostly romance, some with mystery/suspense.

It's difficult for me to find a real page turner. I'm not sure what that says about me. Only occasionally do I find a book that I pine for, like I'll be cooking dinner, wishing instead I could get back to my book - that just doesn't happen often. I read at night before bed, on my excercise bike, or in doctor office waiting rooms etc...

I feel guilty reading when I should be doing laundry.

Unknown said...

I read 118 romance books last year. I keep a list of the ones that I did read and the number of books. So far I've read 18 romance books this year. Romance is the only books I read.

memi said...

I'm pretty solidly in the 1-5 category, sadly. Although, seeing as the answer to "how many non-work-related books did you read in the past year" would be barely in the double-digits, Romance's piece of the pie ain't too shabby.

Yeah, that's right. I used the phrase "ain't too shabby." Must be the sparseness of quality literature in my life.

DinahT said...

I haven't counted but I know that am in the highest level. I have been a reader since I learned how too. On the comment about men romance readers, my husband said that I was evil because I have got him hooked on a couple of series :). The only diffination I have seen on romance is that it ends in a HEA.

mamasand2 said...

Vivi, I can answer this pretty accurately. I have to keep an excel list to keep all my books straight, and not rebuy them. LOL

It says I have read over 350 books in the last 12 months.

Sandie

Unknown said...

I would say D