Friday, February 20, 2009

Knock Me Over with a Feather

Oh my stars and garters! Mrs. Giggles, a reviewer known for her forthright opinions and not pulling her punches, gave The Ghost Shrink, the Accidental Gigolo & the Poltergeist Accountant a rating of 90! It's a keeper! She called it "a hilarious caper"!!! Check out the full review.

And Carolina Wolf and Paramatch.com both got ratings of 86! Also, those of you with an eye on the My Bookstore and More Top 10 will know that both Carolina Wolf and Paramatch.com are staying strong on the list. Way to go, Tickle My Fantasy stories!
-------------------------------------------------------------
The Gigolo Question of the day is about etiquette. I need a Miss Manners Guide to Publishing. So I got this great review, and I want to thank her for reading my book: will that be seen as sucking up or just a geniune thanks? Keep it short and avoid gushing? Or gush my lil heart out so she'll know how tickled I am that she liked it? What about with submissions? An editor acknowledges the receipt of my manuscript. Am I rude if I do not thank them or is it better not to inundate people with emails that have no information other than "gee, thanks!"? Err on the side of being the pesky uber-thanker or is discretion the better part of valor? I feel like I should have been learning this stuff when I was taught which fork to use. Editors and reviewers are people, too, but I'm betting they already get gazillions of emails. Would one more break the camel's back? What would you prefer?

5 comments:

Sela Carsen said...

I'm a thanker, personally. I try not to gush, but I like to let them know I appreciate that they took the time to read and think about and talk about my story. If I can, I pick out a particular item in their review that was extra nice. I mean, writing reviews isn't easy work! I've done it and a good review takes a lot of thought.

I even thank folks for negative reviews (unless they're plain old nasty, which I've never gotten.) A simple "Thanks for reading and reviewing" works for that.

Sela Carsen said...

PS. You rawk. Congrats again on the great score!!

Anonymous said...

A thank you is always welcome. But I would keep it short and simple.
As for submissions? Have no clue with that one! :D
Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Nice review! I think a thanks is in order. As for submissions??? I wonder the same thing. If they send an update, or a courtesy "I got your submission", I'm inclined to leave them alone. They have enough to do and are no doubt inundated with email. I do thank rejections for taking the time to read me.

Kelly

Vivi Andrews said...

I thanked. :)