Friday, February 6, 2009

Reading Seasons

I'm an eclectic reader, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the books I've read recently. I've been on a real paranormal kick lately - vampires, in particular. I'm a binge reader. I'll tear through entire series or read through an author's entire backlist in a single shot.

I've always been a binge reader, but it was only recently that I realized my reading binges are seasonal. In the summer, I'm drawn to comedies - they're my ideal fluffy beach books, from Jennifer Crusie to Christopher Moore. When it's snowy and dark in the wintertime, I make a beeline for the historical romances and literary classics: Eloisa James, Jane Austen, Mark Twain & D.H. Lawrence. And when it rains (which, living in Seattle is pretty much every day, this time of year) I gravitate toward paranormals. I'm loving Kristin & P.C. Cast's House of Night novels at the moment.

Today's Gigolo Contest Question: Are you a seasonal reader? Do you go on reading binges? Do you have a system for working your way through your To-Be-Read stack (or in my case, the To-Be-Read bookcase)? How do you pick the next book you'll read?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am and I'm not. I try really hard to do series' in order. But, I also do a lot of library borrowing, so I don't always get what I want when I want it. As for choosing what book to read next? Crap, I have no idea. For a while I was getting whatever one caught my eye first. Now I have a bunch that have been sitting around for a while, so what I am trying to do is read them in order of acquisition. BUT Library books will be read in between, as they have due dates! :D

Anonymous said...

I am a bargain store, hand-me-down, borrowed, swap reader, unless...unless one of my favorite authors puts something new out there. I am always on the lookout for my next favorite author (which means I have to read everything they write). I may have found them originally in the secondhand store, but once they have me, I'm hooked.

Kelly

Shadowgoddess said...

I'm usually not a binge reader. I just tend to pick up what looks good or sounds good at the time according to my mood, from my TBR pile. So I guess I'm a mood reader? I choose that way. I also, am always on the lookout for new authors I haven't heard of too, besides my favorites.
Heidi

Unknown said...

I do go on reading binges. Mainly in the genres. I will read vamps for a bit then cowboys and weres. I usually have a couple of books to choose from and read the blurbs, the one I like best, I read.

Vivant said...

I am definitely a binge reader when I find a new author I like a lot. I like to buy their entire backlist and read it in order. Otherwise, I am mostly a mood reader. I always keep LOTS of unread books around to choose from, and as soon as I finish one I decide what I feel like reading next and dive right in. Vamps, shifters, suspense, historical, contemporary, fantasy, paranormal, humor, classics...I love them all. I haven't noticed it being seasonal, although when it comes to the perfect book to read in my hammock on a lazy summer afternoon it probably will be a humorous contemporary romance, with or without paranormal/fantasy elements. I guess that's my equivalent of a beach read.

Unknown said...

I would say that I read all the year through but I do think I probably read more in the winter